The quesadilla is a dish that originated in Mexico. It is traditionally made by filling a corn tortilla with cheese (and sometimes extra stuff like meat, onions, or other vegetables and herbs), folding it over, and melting it together. You can add whatever you want to your quesadilla!
Quesadilla is pronounced “kay-suh-DEE-yuh.”
QUESO – “KAY-so” – means “cheese” in Spanish.
The shopping list:
- 3 tablespoons vegetarian refried beans
- 2 six-eight inch wheat tortillas (or corn, for gluten-free)
- A handful of shredded cheese
- Spread your refried beans and sprinkle cheese onto one tortilla
- Place other side of tortilla on top
- Heat a skillet to medium high and place quesadilla on the hot skillet
- Cook on each side for about a minute or until cheese is melted
The fun part:
- Slice into fourths and serve with a side of sliced yummy avocado and salsa
- Put on a sombrero (hat) and enjoy!