About the Chakras
Have you heard the word “chakras” before? In yoga, the chakras are energy “centers” in the body. There are 7 chakras total and each one is has it’s own color and feeling:
- Red (the Root chakra): “I am grounded.”
- Orange (the Sacral chakra): “I am happy.”
- Yellow (the Solar Plexus chakra) “I am strong.”
- Green (the Heart chakra): “I am loving.”
- Blue (the Throat chakra): “I am truthful.”
- Purple (the Third Eye chakra): “I am smart.”
- White (the Crown chakra): “I am whole.”
The chakras move up through you body, beginning with the your feet (the “root” chakra) and up to the top of your head (the “crown” chakra). When your chakras are “balanced,” you feel the positive feelings of each one. For example, if you’re feeling super-smart — you have a healthy, balanced Third Eye chakra.
Butterflies are extraordinary creatures. They begin their lives as caterpillars and change into butterflies through a process called metamorphosis. This is why butterflies often represent change.
There are over 20,000 types of butterflies in the world. They live almost everywhere, except in Antartica and the driest of deserts. Butterflies are like birds in that they migrate to warmer weather during colder seasons. (The Monarch butterfly will travel up to 2500 miles!) A group of butterflies is a called a “flutter.” Butterflies can’t hear — but they can feel the vibrations of sound. They also vary in size, ranging from 1/2 inch to 12 inches in length. AND — and this is our favorite fun fact about butterflies — they taste their food with their FEET! Can you imagine?
Chakra Butterfly Craft
Celebrate your ever-changing energy centers with a simple Chakra Butterfly Craft!
- Coffee filter
- Spray bottle (with water)
- Pipe cleaner
- Color the coffee filer with the chakra colors of your choice.
- Spritz the filter with water, allowing the colors to mix together.
- Set the filter aside to let it dry.
- Once dry, pinch the center of the filter with a clothespin to create the body of your butterfly.
- Glue on pipe cleaner for the antennae.