Did you know the sun is a star? There are billions upon billions of stars in the Universe, but the sun is one very special star that makes it possible for life to exist on Earth. The sun is the center of our solar system. It takes the Earth one year to travel all the way around the sun, which is 110 times bigger in diameter (the distance around the middle) than Earth! Without the sun, we would have no energy to grow plants and sustain life on our planet. Let’s reach up and grab some of that beautiful sunlight-energy so we can be strong and powerful!
- Breathe in and reach up high with an outstretched hand.
- Pretend that you are grabbing a piece of sunshine and pull the power into your solar plexus – your inner sun (the solar plexus is located between the chest and the navel).
- Exhale with a “hah” breath.
- Repeat with your other arm, alternating the reach with the left and right arms. As you practice, increase the force of your breath. Can you work up to 1, then 2 minutes. Feel the power of the sun shining inside of you. You are filled with light!
Activity Ideas for Home or Classroom
Bridge of Diamonds Element
Encourage children to understand and trust their inner power. We do not need to exert force over anyone of anything. Let’s live in balance together.
Body Benefits Element
This is a perfect pose for tired, weary children. Reach for the Sun and pull energy into your body. Feel refreshed and ready to go!
Repeat these positive statements as you practice this pose:
- “I am powerful.”
- “If I feel afraid, I turn on the light inside of me.”
- “I have the power of the sun shining within me.”