Snowman Glitter Shaker
- One jar with a screw on lid (like a pasta sauce jar)
- One 12”x12” piece of felt for the hat
- Hot glue
- A ribbon or other piece of fabric for the scarf
- A pipe cleaner for the hat
- A small piece of orange paper, cut into a triangle, for the carrot nose
- A black sharpie for eyes and buttons
- Other decorations, like jingle bells and pom-poms for the hat, or buttons for the eyes, mouth
- Plastic glitter in large and small sizes.
You may adjust the glycerin-to-water ratio for the size of your jar – I am using a 24 oz. jar in the example.
- Remove the label and scrape off any leftover glue. Make sure the jar is completely dry.
- Begin by tying the scarf onto the jar and adding a dot of hot glue to the front and back, between the ribbon or fabric and jar, to hold the scarf in place.
- Glue on button eyes or draw on black circles for eyes, mouth, and buttons. Glue on the nose.
- Trace a circle onto the felt using a bowl, and cut it out. Note: Using the lid of your jar as a guide, you should have no less than 1” extra fabric all around. I have about 1.5” margins on mine.
- The larger the circle, the floppier the hat.
- Add ¼ cup of glycerin and about 1 cup water. Put the lid on the jar and shake until mixture is homogeneous.
- Put a maximum of 2 Tablespoons of plastic glitter into the jar, then fill until about 1” from the top of the jar. Put the lid on and make sure you like the consistency of the water and glitter. If you want to add more glycerin to make the glitter move more slowly, add it now and mix well.
- Once you’re happy with the water viscosity, fill the last remaining space up to the brim and put the lid on. Dry any water spots that may have leaked out, and hot glue around the base of the lid.
- Center the circle of felt on the lid and hot glue it in place.
- Crimp the felt as needed to get the shape of hat you want, and wrap the pipe cleaner tightly under the base of the lid, twisting the ends to hold it together. You will probably need more than one set of hands for this step! Add decorations, like pom-poms, silk flowers, or a bow) over the place where you twist the pipe cleaner closed.
- Let it snow!