Frequently Asked Questions
What is YogaKids?
YogaKids International, Inc., based in New Buffalo, MI, is the pioneer and leading provider of yoga to children around the world. The organization’s mission is to promote peace, health, empowerment and education. Founded in 1991 by Marsha Wenig, the YogaKids brand now has a number of award-winning products available: DVDs, CDs, games, books, shirts, yoga mats, and more. Recognized three times by the Parents’ Choice Awards, the YogaKids DVD series and subsequent products have introduced over a million families to yoga in an amazing new way. Unlike yoga for adults, the YogaKids program specifically addresses the needs and capabilities of children.
Where can I find a YogaKids teacher in my area?
Reach out to our network of teachers. Use our Teacher Directory to find one near you.
What types of YogaKids trainings are available?
We offer 3 Levels of Training, as well as 3-hour workshops. Visit our event calendar to find upcoming live trainings.
What is the YogaKids Certification program?
YogaKids proudly offers the very best professional training in children’s yoga. This program is also widely attended by therapists and educators and offers personal mastery at its best. Our graduates are extremely well-prepared to incorporate the proven YogaKids teaching philosophy and practices, to create and teach classes to groups of children in a variety of private and professional settings.
- Level 1: Foundations (our 2-day training event) is the prerequisite and can be taken alone or as part of our Full Certification track.
- Level 2: Integrations is the next step after Foundations and is an online, home-study program under the guidance of our professional mentoring community.
- Level 3: Transformations (our 7-day training event) is a 55-hour Yoga Alliance approved training. During this advanced immersion you will enjoy intense practice, study and experience with others who have elevated to this level of mastery. Enjoy 5 days of personal transformation as you clarify, improve and master YogaKids life-changing work.
How much money can I make as a YogaKids Certified Teacher?
Compensation varies based on circumstances including the number of classes taught, fee per child and % profits arrangements, etc. And while YogaKids makes no claims or guarantees based around your (or any income possibility with this business opportunity), it is realistic for a teacher to make upwards of $50 – $100 per hour.
How much does it cost to become Certified?
YogaKids Certification can be purchased for $2305.55 when purchased as a bundle. See our Full Certification product page for details.
Do I have to know yoga or be a teacher to take this program?
We ask that you bring an open heart and your love for children. One year yoga experience is very helpful, but not required. Once you are in Level 2 of Training, you must commit to a regular adult yoga practice.
How is YogaKids different from other children’s yoga programs?
YogaKids is the original yoga program for children. Most other specialty programs out in the market today received their foundation from YogaKids. Those specialty programs are wonderful in their scope and niche. We find that YogaKids is different in many ways including:
- The YogaKids 14 Elements: Our building blocks for creating fun, educational and healthy kids yoga classes .
- Original YogaKids Poses: Our program contains over 175 original poses and we bring life and excitement to each pose.
- Experience: Our live trainings include observing and teaching actual children; this feature gives our students the experience they need to confidently begin teaching real kids after Foundations.
- Community Connection: The connection to our entire community of teachers, trainers, mentors, and other teacher trainees makes our program very unique. If you post a question about anything from class fees to classroom management ideas, several experts in the field will often weigh in with brilliant, insightful ideas.
Is the YogaKids Certification program recognized by Yoga Alliance?
Yes. Our YogaKids school (ID# 14724) has been approved by Yoga Alliance as a RCYS. We are listed on their online registry. Graduates of your RCYS can now apply for their RCYT online at www.yogaalliance.org. They must already be RYT’s and complete at least thirty hours of teaching in their specialty (following training) in order to register for a specialty designation.
What does it mean to be a Licensed YogaKids Teacher? How is it different from “Certified”?
Once you complete the YogaKids Certification program, you will always be a Certified YogaKids Teacher. Licensed YogaKids Teachers are active, current members in our community and have access to our private forums, listing on our “Find a Teacher” page and use of our logos and marketing materials. Licensed teachers can also be part of our mentoring community, contributing authors on the website, teach 3-hour workshops and become trainers for YogaKids. Licensed YogaKids Teachers pay a small licensing fee to receive benefits.
How long does it take to become Certified?
Foundations (Level 1) is a 2-day, 16-hour workshop. Integrations (Level 2) is an online course designed to take approximately 80 hours, although we allow up to one year from start to finish — with options to purchase extensions. Transformations (Level 3) is a 7-day live event. Most of our apprentices complete the entire program from Foundations to Transformations within 12 – 18 months.
Which ages are covered in the YogaKids program?
Toddler to teens.
Do I need liability insurance? And where do I get it?
All YogaKids trainees and CYKTs are required to maintain liability insurance. We believe that you, the children, the parents and the public are entitled to the confidence that liability insurance brings. International exceptions may apply. We provide our teachers with a list of suggested insurance companies.
Is there a community of YogaKids teachers I can connect with during and after my training?
Yes, we have a very active private forum for our teachers. Our community consists of not only yoga teachers, but also professional educators, occupational and physical therapists, and adult yoga teachers. The wealth of knowledge in our own community is very unique. On our forums, our community can share ideas, solve problems, and network.
Where do the training events take place?
All over the world! Please check our calendar of events for a training that is convenient for you. We offer trainings in the United States and internationally!
Do I have to pursue Certification if I attend the Foundations workshop?
Foundations is a stand-alone training in addition to the first step towards Certification. Those that attend do not have to pursue Certification. Foundations will enable you to bring yoga to the children in your life. However, you may find yourself so empowered that you choose to join our world-wide community of Certified YogaKids Teachers.
Am I Certified after Foundations?
Once you complete Foundations (Level 1) you will receive a certificate that states that you have completed 16 hours of training in the YogaKids method. However, you need to complete Level 2 and 3 of the YogaKids Certification track to be fully Certified.
My Foundations isn’t for several months. Is there anything I can do in advance to prepare?
We recommend you start or continue a regular adult yoga practice. Seek out qualified teachers in your area. To find Registered Yoga Teachers in your area, visit www.yogaalliance.org/yogaregistry. If you purchase Full Certification, you can also start exploring resources in the exclusive YK University prior to your Foundations Training.
What can I do if you do not offer a Foundations Training in my area?
Please continue to check our training calendar! We strive to offer events across the US, Canada and Internationally. We choose locations in metropolitan areas that are central and easy to access by car or plane. Our events are well worth the travel!
Will I get the opportunity to actually teach kids at Foundations or Transformations?
Yes, our trainees have the opportunity to both observe our master trainers and themselves teach children at all of our events.
What if I register for an event and need to cancel? What is your refund policy?
Foundations Refund Policy: A full refund minus a $100 processing fee is available if requested in writing no later than 30 days prior to the training. If a refund is requested less than two weeks prior to the training, your payment can be used towards another available training within a year. A $50 processing fee to transfer your registration will apply. Contact us for specific cancellation requests. Visit our Policy page for more information.
What will I learn at Transformations?
At Transformations you will:
- Study teaching methodology, anatomy, physiology, yoga philosophy and ethics.
- Deepen your personal practice and visualize your goals for your future.
- Learn more about child development as it pertains to yoga.
- Get a summation and review of YogaKids asanas and techniques.
- Share great ideas, and experience your colleagues great ideas
- Refine classroom management skills.
- Receive tools, guidance and marketing ideas for your YogaKids career.
- Learn about YogaKids continuing education.
- Have fun, play, laugh, explore, create and connect; creating bonds to last a lifetime.
- Return home empowered, invigorated, and ready to roll with your new YogaKids life path.
How many Transformations events are held each year and where are they?
Three to four Transformations events are held each year. Events are held on the west coast, east coast and midwestern United States. We also hold Transformations in Canada. See our schedule of upcoming trainings.