What is YogaKids?
YogaKids International, Inc., based in New Buffalo, MI, is the pioneer and leading provider of yoga to children around the world. The organization’s mission is to promote peace, health, empowerment and education. Founded in 1991 by Marsha Wenig, the YogaKids brand now has a number of award-winning products available: DVDs, CDs, games, books, shirts, yoga mats, and more. Recognized three times by the Parents’ Choice Awards, the YogaKids DVD series and subsequent products have introduced over a million families to yoga in an amazing new way. Unlike yoga for adults, the YogaKids program specifically addresses the needs and capabilities of children.
Where can I find a YogaKids teacher in my area?
Reach out to our network of teachers. Use our Teacher Directory to find one near you.
What types of YogaKids trainings are available?
What is the YogaKids Certification program?
YogaKids proudly offers the very best professional training in children’s yoga. This program is also widely attended by therapists and educators and offers personal mastery at its best. Our graduates are extremely well-prepared to incorporate the proven YogaKids teaching philosophy and practices, to create and teach classes to groups of children in a variety of private and professional settings.
- Level 1: Foundations (our online webinar course) can be taken alone or as part of our Full Certification track.
- Level 2: Integrations is the next step after Foundations and is an at-home-study program made up of 4 modules and completed under the guidance of our professional mentoring community.
- Level 3: Transformations (our online webinar course) is the culmination experience of our Certification track.
Can I obtain continuing education credit for a YogaKids training?
Many people do! However, it is up to the organization giving the credit to determine whether or not a YogaKids training will be accepted. We are happy to provide any information we can to help you obtain credit.
How much money can I make as a YogaKids Certified Teacher?
Compensation varies based on circumstances including the number of classes taught, fee per child and % profits arrangements, etc. And while YogaKids makes no claims or guarantees based around your (or any income possibility with this business opportunity), it is realistic for a teacher to make upwards of $50 – $100 per hour.
How much does it cost to become Certified?
Do I have to know yoga or be a teacher to take this program?
We ask that you bring an open heart and your love for children. One year yoga experience is very helpful, but not required. Once you are in Level 2 of Training, you must commit to a regular adult yoga practice.
How is YogaKids different from other children’s yoga programs?
YogaKids is the original yoga program for children. Most other specialty programs out in the market today received their foundation from YogaKids. Those specialty programs are wonderful in their scope and niche. We find that YogaKids is different in many ways including:
- The YogaKids 14 Elements: Our building blocks for creating fun, educational and healthy kids yoga classes .
- Original YogaKids Poses: Our program contains over 175 original poses and we bring life and excitement to each pose.
- Experience: Our trainings include observing and teaching actual children; this feature gives our students the experience they need to confidently begin teaching real kids after Foundations.
- Community Connection: The connection to our entire community of teachers, trainers, mentors, and other teacher trainees makes our program very unique. If you post a question about anything from class fees to classroom management ideas, several experts in the field will often weigh in with brilliant, insightful ideas.
Is the YogaKids Certification program recognized by Yoga Alliance?
YogaKids is recognized by Yoga Alliance as a Registered Children’s Yoga School. If you’re a Registered Yoga Teacher and are interested in obtaining your RCYT designation from Yoga Alliance, please contact them about specific requirements. Our online full certification program allows you to become a Certified YogaKids Teacher (CYKT) — and there are no yoga prerequisites.
What does it mean to be a Licensed YogaKids Teacher? How is it different from “Certified”?
Licensing refers to the use of our proprietary YogaKids program. Certification refers to your specific qualifications. To keep your Certification current, you must be an active member in our community and pay a licensing fee of $19.99 per month. As a Certified YogaKids Teacher, you will have access to all our community benefits, such as our private teacher forum, a premium listing on Teacher Directory, continuing education resources, and use of our logos and marketing materials. You can also be part of our mentoring community, a contributing author on our website, a workshop presenter, and a YogaKids Trainer.
How long does it take to become Certified?
Foundations (Level 1) is an online webinar course (4 webinars of 60-90 minutes with additional hours for homework). Integrations (Level 2) is an online course designed to take approximately 80 hours, although we allow up to one year from start to finish — with options to purchase extensions. Transformations (Level 3) is an online webinar course (8 webinars of 60-90 minutes with additional hours for homework). Most of our apprentices complete the entire program from Foundations to Transformations within 12 – 18 months.
Which ages are covered in the YogaKids program?
Toddler to teens.
Do I need liability insurance? And where do I get it?
All YogaKids trainees and CYKTs are required to maintain liability insurance. We believe that you, the children, the parents and the public are entitled to the confidence that liability insurance brings. International exceptions may apply. We provide our teachers with a list of suggested insurance companies.
Is there a community of YogaKids teachers I can connect with during and after my training?
Yes, we have a very active private forum for our teachers. Our community consists of not only yoga teachers, but also professional educators, occupational and physical therapists, and adult yoga teachers. The wealth of knowledge in our own community is very unique. On our forums, our community can share ideas, solve problems, and network.
Do I have to pursue Certification if I attend the Foundations workshop?
Foundations is a stand-alone training in addition to the first step towards Certification. Those that attend do not have to pursue Certification. Foundations will enable you to bring yoga to the children in your life. However, you may find yourself so empowered that you choose to join our world-wide community of Certified YogaKids Teachers.
Am I Certified after Foundations?
Once you complete Foundations you will receive a certificate that states that you have completed Level 1 of training in the YogaKids method. However, you need to complete Level 2 and 3 of the YogaKids Certification track to be fully Certified.
What can I do in advance to prepare?
We recommend you start or continue a regular adult yoga practice. Seek out qualified teachers in your area. To find Registered Yoga Teachers in your area, visit www.yogaalliance.org/yogaregistry. If you purchase Full Certification, you can also start exploring the resources in our exclusive YK University prior to your Foundations Training.
Will I get the opportunity to view a kids class at Foundations or Transformations?
Yes, our trainees have the opportunity to observe our master trainers teach children.
What if I register for an event and need to cancel? What is your refund policy?
Visit our Policy page for all information.
What will I learn at Transformations?
At Transformations you will:
- Study teaching methodology, anatomy, physiology, yoga philosophy and ethics.
- Deepen your personal practice and visualize your goals for your future.
- Learn more about child development, classroom management and special needs
- Share great ideas, and experience your colleagues’ great ideas
- Receive tools, guidance and marketing ideas for your YogaKids career.
- Learn about YogaKids continuing education.
- Have fun, play, laugh, explore, create and connect; creating bonds to last a lifetime.
- Finish empowered, invigorated, and ready to roll with your new YogaKids life path.