“Take 5” is an expression that means “take a short break.” Take 5 breath gives you a quick rest whenever you need it. If you get angry, tired, nervous or frustrated — just breathe and Take 5. Before tests or while you’re studying, Take 5 breath will help you focus and concentrate. This pose can be done anywhere, at any time. Breathe in for 5 seconds and breathe out for 5 seconds.
- Make a fist and breathe in through your nose with an inhalation. Have someone count out loud for your or count it out in your mind 1, 2, 3, 4, 5.
- Next, put up your hand with 5 fingers spread wide.
- Breathe out through your nose with an exhalation. Exhale and count: 5, 4, 3, 2, 1. Put one finger at a time down with each count– thumb (5), index finger (4), middle (3), ring (2), pinkie (1).
- Repeat 1 to 3 times.
Activity Ideas for Home and Classroom
Take 5 with each other and make it a family practice. You can use it anywhere: In the car, at the dinner table, when tiredness or crankiness sets in for anyone in your family. Children love to remind their parents to Take 5 when they see them stressed or anxious. When things get wild just signal each other with an outstretched hand. Together you´ll learn to Take 5 automatically!!
Increase your breath in multiples of 5. Count 5, 10, 15, 20. Count backwards 20, 15, 10, 5, With practice, your breath span will naturally increase.
Begin your day with Take 5. Use it to help you fall asleep or anytime in between: at the dinner table, in the car, standing or sitting, anywhere-anytime.
- “When I get upset, I take 5.”
- “When I get frustrated, I take 5.”
- “Before a test, I take 5 to quiet my brain and focus my mind.”
- “I take 5 and feel calm.”